In the nonprofit sector, digital engagement and digital fundraising are hot topics. But are our donors and activists on the same page as we are when it comes to digital engagement and giving online? Are our organizations taking the right steps to engage donors digitally and do we understand what metrics really matter online?
To answer these questions and more, Steve MacLaughlin is joined today by Carie Lewis Carlson, of CLC Consulting and formerly of the Humane Society of the United States. Listen in to hear Steve and Carie discus what’s happening in digital marketing today.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- The similarities between consumer behavior and donor behavior
- Whether donors distinguish between online giving and offline giving
- How resource availability and leadership can affect the ability of nonprofits to appeal to donors with digital marketing
- The importance of being willing to try new things and learn from them, even if they don’t work out
- How to wean off vanity metrics and focus on more useful types of metrics
- The importance of developing a strong content strategy
Quotes from this Episode:
“I think that our constituents and our customers are actually way more advanced than we are. Technology can’t keep up with them.”
“You’re going to come out better in the end, no matter if you fail or succeed, because you’re going to learn from those mistakes.”
“Everybody’s on social, but they don’t know why.”