What is leadership? Knowing that management is directive and leadership is connective is a great place to start, but social good leaders often struggle with understanding and balancing these two.
To explore what leadership really means in a connected organization, Marc Pitman joins host Steve MacLaughlin on the podcast today to talk about the role of the social good CEO or executive director in fundraising, how to connect and balance internal and external leadership, and why continuous improvement is such a powerful way for organizations to focus.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- What fundraising leadership is really about
- Balancing external and internal leadership
- Why nonprofits bring in COOs
- The different perspectives of founders vs leaders who were passed the torch
- The importance of continuous improvement
- The key qualities leaders need to develop to be effective
- How to help your staff develop
- The importance of finding support from peers or coaches
“Part of what leaders need to do is cast a vision of something that’s greater than… some better world, some better experience for whatever the mission is that they’re trying to solve.”
“Doing that really well, caring for that cause, doesn’t provide the revenue.”
“I have a growing appreciation for events – if they’re not solely for fundraising.”