New power. What does it mean? Who is using it? How is new power changing the world, and how can it be used for fundraising and social good? Today’s episode will explore those questions and more with Jeremy Heimans, co-author with Henry Timms of the book New Power: How Power Works in Our Hyperconnected World—and How to Make It Work for You.
Rachel Hutchinson is your host for today’s episode, which was recorded live from bbcon, the leading tech gathering for social good. Listen in to learn what new power is, how it differs from old power, what’s different about fundraising in a new power world, and how your organization can begin to embrace new power.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- The definition of new power
- How new power differs from old power, and how they can work together
- Examples of new power and how it works, from #GivingTuesday to healthcare
- What’s different about fundraising in a new power world
- How organizations are making the shift from old power to new power
- What people can do next to embrace new power
Article: Understanding “New Power”
Quotes by Jeremy:
“One really easy way to think of that difference between old and new power is the difference between power as currency – that’s old power, the kind of power you hoard up – and power as a current.”
“All the evidence is that if you can empower patients to organize around their own challenges, you can get far better health outcomes than by kind of imposing solutions to them from the top down.”
“It's absolutely true that the most effective players today are the ones who actually know how to blend old and new power.”
“You've got to be able to find a way of not just appealing to elites but appealing to everybody.”